This is one of my favorite cookies. It uses almond flour which makes it gluten-free too. I add a bit of Amaretto liquor to enhance the flavor but it can be replaced with almond extract instead.
200g almond flour or very finely ground almonds, sifted 200g granulated sugar pinch salt 2 large egg whites 1 teaspoon Disaronno Amaretto liqueur (or almond extract) 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract Icing sugar as needed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Sift and mix almond flour and sugar together.
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until you have soft peaks.
- Add Amaretto and Vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients in batches and mix. No need to do gentle folding here.
- Make the dough into balls and roll them in Icing sugar.
- Put on a baking tray and press slightly. Optionally add almond slivers on top.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes.
If you like the outside of these cookies crunchier you can use two baking sheets and leave it for longer in the oven without burning the cookie’s bottom.